MAIL 029 - DIY Cheap Happy Mail + How to Get Free Journaling & Happy Mail Supplies



Hello everyone!
I have a special blog post today!

For this post I wanted to discuss ways you can get free
journaling supplies, happy mail supplies, or craft supplies. Not only that,
but ways we can use items that may otherwise be thrown away.

And stick to the end for a happy mail process video, in which I try using
materials I had on hand or that are super cheap!

This is something I enjoy a lot! I am so excited, so let's get to it!

Reusing

This is the most fun and easiest way to get free supplies.
It does require a bit of creativity, but it opens up a door for unique supplies.

Of course, what you can make will depend on what is available to you.
I love to reuse packaging, papers, receipts, and honestly anything you
can get your hands on. Food packaging is very fun.
I have seen tutorials for postcards made from cereal boxes, zipper
pouches made from candy packaging, and envelopes made from
magazines. I think making envelopes is one of the easiest.
Catalogs & magazines are perfect for this! After we look at them, we
generally just let them stack up anyways. Old outdated calendars are perfect
too! I would like to try using a candy or food package as a packing envelope
because the shape is perfect for thicker happy mails.

You could also cut out logos or photos on the packaging to use as decorations
in place of stickers. You could cut out strips of the packaging to use almost
like washi tape. I would like to experiment more with using packaging in the future!


Garage Sales & Yard Sales


This one will require some traveling and searching.
You can find some cheap goods possibly, but I recommend checking out
the free item. Not everyone will have free stuff available. Bu sometimes
they just want rid of old books, magazines, & other misc. goods that you may
be able to utilize that most people don't want. The last day of the yard sale is a
really good time to go because by then they just want rid of it all. You can even
ask as well, and they may just have some to give to you.

Library book sales are a good option too! My library has a free box.
Your library may have one too!


Word of Mouth


This one is really easy. Tell people you know!
Tell your family & friends that you are looking for papers, old books, just anything
that can be used for crafts. Maybe even show them some photos for examples of what
you make & what you are looking for. They may keep their eye on the look out.
They may even have papers or packaging that they don't use anymore to give to you.
Most people are willing to give things like that away to someone who will use it,
as opposed to just throwing it away. 

I had a friend who gave me a bunch of old books that I use in a lot of my projects.
Children's books are great! You can also ask your friends toward the end of the year
to save their old calendar so you can use it. Of course, not all calendars will be pretty lol.
But some are perfect for making envelopes & collages!


 Online Posts
Check online marketplaces like Facebook, Craigslist, & any local groups.
Sometimes people just want rid of things. They may be moving & don't want to bother
trying to sell something. So they give it away! I have seen people giving away their 
craft stash even. You just have to constantly be looking & act fast.
Obviously, always exercise caution when meeting someone from online.

You could also make your own post or listing for searching for supplies.
Just see if anyone has old books, papers, or magazines they don't want.
You could try for craft supplies too, you never know!

My aunt does live shows on Facebook. She brought up how she was trying to get into
journaling. One of her viewers messaged her and asked if she want all her supplies.
What? She said she just doesn't use them anymore & that my aunt could have it all.
It included stamps & stamp inks, stickers, & all sorts of stuff!

Giveaways are fun, but you generally have a very small chance of winning anything.
But they can be worth a try!


Cash Back Companies & Apps


This one can be tricky. I have tried some phone apps for "points" that add up,
and then you can later redeem them for gift cards. I did get a gift card once, so
it does work. But... it takes a LOT of time and effort. I would have to download & play
games, reach a certain level, and then receive the points. Not all offers worked as
well. In the end, it was way too much of a hassle for me.

A very popular cash-back site, that I know is legit, is Rakuten. Formerly called "Ebates."
I've been using the website for a few years after hearing about it from a YouTuber.
I tried it & it works! I stopped using it for a while & I don't know why I did that lol.

Essentially, Rakuten works as a referral website that gives you cash-back when you make
purchases through their links. I highly recommend you check out their website for more
information. You will find all the details, especially for your region or country.

This website is great because if you are like me, I buy a lot online.
I just buy what I usually buy going through those links & I get a percentage of cash-back.
The percentage varies by stores & current offers, & not all items are included.
But for the most part I do pretty well. My last check I received 10.03. It may not seem
like much, but for stationery, hey, I'm not complaining. As of writing this, I have over
12.00 which I will receive the check for in November. But I'm trying to get some
more before the check is sent lol. 

I just recommend checking out their website for more info & if you have any questions.
I am in no way sponsored or affiliated with Rakuten, but I do have my referral link that
you can use. By using this link I get 25$ if you sign up & make a qualifying purchase
of 25$ or more. You will receive 10$ after you make your qualifying purchase as well!
You also get your own referral link that you can share with your friends & family.
(This is the current offer. Varies by region or country. Subject to change. New users only.) 


It is a great way to get cash-back on what you usually buy! And, you can use that money
for stationery that you may have not had the money to buy it with before!
Hehe, I can't wait to get my check lol. I already know what I am going to buy!

I've not tried out anymore sites or apps, so if you have any recommendations,
let me know in the comments!! 


Swaps

This one will require some money, but it is super FUN!!
You will have to pay postage, but you trade some of what you already have.
This is really great if you have many of the same item. I get tired of using the same
things. So you can send it to someone who likes it, and you can get something
different in return.

For me, I have a LOT of vintage stuff. I've actually been wanting to do a swap with
someone who wants to trade kawaii stuff for vintage items. This is also really great
if you have some things that just aren't your style but someone else's style. Then you
can trade for things you like. It takes a bit of correspondence, but it is fun & exciting!
Instagram is great for finding someone to do a swap with. Just as always, be safe &
don't fall for scams. Sadly, it has happened to people. My advice, make sure they are
active & they have proof that they send mails.


That is all for this post!
Of course, these are just my thoughts & ideas. Some from experience.
I there are many possibilities as well as ways to reuse items that could otherwise
be thrown away. Let me know if you have any ideas or thoughts in the comments!
I would love to hear from you!



Comments