MAIL 020 - Cute & Tiny Miniature Snail Mail + Tips & Process Video




There is a trend that I love. All things miniature.
 Miniature cooking, miniature doll houses, miniature food, & just mini everything.
It is an adorable & tiny trend, but it is also very satisfying.
I love watching people make miniatures.
I had an urge to make something tiny. So I did.
I made a miniature snail mail.
Not just with a tiny envelope, but an entire adorable parcel.

I am so happy with how this turned out & I plan to make more in the future.

I posted the process video for this on this past Friday.
I didn't get the time to make the blog post, but here it is.




It is so small!!
Look how small it is in comparison with my fingertips.
And I have small child-like hands!




It wasn't as hard as I thought it was gonna be.
I did have a bit of technical difficulties because I forgot to press the record
button part of the time. 😅 But it came out great in the end.

I thought I would talk about the process here & problems I faced since
I don't in the video. The video is at the end of this post if you would like to watch it.

I had all of the materials on hand. 
First, I made the papers. I could have use normal size book pages,
but I also wanted the words to match the tiny size. I scanned them in
the printer many times. I reduced the size till I got it right for each page
size & kept those prints. You may see on the back of some of them the
text from the mess-ups. There were many. I wanted the vintage look,
so I tea soaked the papers & let them dry.

I didn't glue the sides of pocket right at first, but I just scraped the glue off.
It was hard to glue because it is so small. Making the mini envelope was actually
very easy. I think that is actually a very easy & cute idea to add to you snail mails
to your Penpals. The little letter was a bit hard to write because you have to
write really small. The little plants are a type of washi tape, but it has a peel off
back. I don't know why it's like that, but it finally came in handy.

It took a while to cut them out. They were so small. I enjoy watching that part
over & over again. I find it so satisfying lol. The paper clip actually took
a few tries before I got it right. I think I had made 3 or 4 fails before the one
I used. I didn't have wire cutters, so I used nail trimmers for pets. They worked
great though. The paper clips would have been easier to make if I had used
bottle nosed pliers, but I didn't have any. I made way with tweezers though.

I made two videos using full-sized watercolors leaves that I have not uploaded
yet. I got the inspiration for the theme of this miniature from those videos.
Painting such small watercolor leaves was a bit hard. I couldn't make them
very detailed. I made more than one, but I only ended up using the one in
the end. The little kraft paper envelope was easy to make. I have made them
a billion times. I have made small ones for seed packets before, so it was easy.

I cut out a small piece of vellum paper that I decorated. The only problem with
vellum paper is that it is smooth & a bit slick. I used a gel pen to make the dots.
I should have used a pigment pen because the gel pen ink smudged. I kinda
like the smudged look though. Toward the end, the sticker strip kinda moved
as well, but I just moved it back. I am so glad I used miniature sized papers for
this project because I loved how it looked. It really helps it to look truly miniature.

The little washi leaf wreath kept trying to peel up a bit, but I glued it down later.
I just wrapped up all the little plant stickers in white tissue paper that is used for
gifts and I closed it with one of the plant stickers. I tied a little string around the
pocket to help bring it together.

I think the key is to look for materials that you can cut down or use in small quantities
& that will still look good after it had been cut down. Skinny washi tapes are perfect
& also washi tapes with small or simple patterns that can be cut like the striped washi
tape I used. I look for small patterns when it came to papers as well. That is why I shrunk
the book pages in the printer. Although this is my first one, my main tip for making miniatures is to think small. If you were smaller what would everything look like?
What size would the words be? How small would the envelope be? Etc.

I will be making more for sure in the future. I also have a poll in the video.
Let me know what the theme of the next miniature snail mail should be!



Video has been moved to IGTV! Please follow @pebbledpaper on IG!

Comments

Popular Posts